Work while you study abroad!

shutterstock_1927533290Most students take on part-time jobs or vacation jobs to supplement their income while they study overseas. Such jobs often lead to interesting experiences where you can meet people, gain insider knowledge of how local businesses work, and soak in the local culture. However, not all countries allow students to work during their study tenure. Here is a list of some countries where students can make use of available opportunities to work during your overseas studies.

Most Australian student visas permit students to work for a maximum of 40 hours in two weeks, during the duration of the course. During any scheduled course breaks while you study in Australia, you can work unrestricted hours. Before you get started on any paid work you should check to make sure your visa allows you to work.

There are very strict rules in the US laid down by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) about work permits for international students. Generally, undergraduate students are not allowed to work part-time. Students who are on an F-1 visa can only work on-campus in their first year of studies, but may be granted permission to work off-campus in their second year of study.

To work off-campus, students must get authorisation from their Designated School Official (DSO).
If you are on an M-1 visa, the only employment you are allowed to undertake is for practical training purposes, for a duration of 12 to 16 hours per week.

Usually students from non-EU countries would be on a Tier-4 visa to the UK. They can work for on an average of 20 hours per week during the semester and full-time during the holidays. Your visa sticker or Biometrics Residence Permit (BRP) will show the maximum hours you can work during term-time.

Around two thirds of all students in Germany earn money while they study. However, work is restricted for students who do not come from the EU or EEA countries. Such students are allowed to work 120 full or 240 half days in a year. Students from the EU and the EEA countries are considered on equal terms with German students and have free access and equal opportunities in the German job market. Students are welcomed in jobs, and employment agencies have plenty of job opportunities for students.

Citizens from countries outside the EU/EEA who are registered as full-time students are permitted to work part-time in Ireland, which is up to a maximum of 20 hours a week and full-time during vacation periods. A student from an EU country has the same employment rights as any native citizen of Ireland.

Some popular part-time work options include working in restaurants or fast food joints, as pizza delivery workers, working as baristas at cafes, and working in malls or amusement parks. Wages depend on the number of hours put in at work. Some jobs bring in additional income as tips. A thumb rule to calculate wages is that they can range from 6 to 10 US Dollars an hour.

Make sure, however, that you don’t spend so much time working that you lose track of your studies! Focus on completing your course of studies abroad diligently and with good grades.